Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Go Ahead Dance To The Beat Of Your Own Drum

 Artistic Soul Within Facebook

I really enjoyed this article written by Skylar Liberty Rose titled Who Cares What They Think? (Why You Don't Need to Fit In). This article by Skylar touched my heart on so many levels. If you struggle with fitting in and find yourself worrying a lot about what other people think then this article is for you.

In this short but beautifully written article, Skylar and her husband was invited to hear one of her yoga student's play the piano. When they got to the place where her student was playing they were turned away because of how they were dressed. Understandably Skylar and her husband were angry and upset, but instead of leaving they decided to stand out side of the door. When they heard the music of student playing they started slow dancing in the lobby. They were happy. Aaaahhh I can sooo imagine this beautiful scene.

They didn't let the craziness of the moment rob them of experiencing the beautiful music. Skylar in her article said, “Life will always throw us curveballs. Always. But we can still find our own joy. We can still hear the music. She goes on to talk about how our happiness should not be dependent on the acceptance and approval of others. She said, “If our happiness is only ever dependent on the acceptance and approval of others then we are giving away far too much of our power. It's human nature to want to be liked, To want to be included, but it's damaging for our self esteem if it's something we have to fight for."

I myself have struggled with wanting acceptance and approval of others. Just in writing a blog post doubt and fear use to stop me from typing a single world. In the beginning I lacked a lot of confidence. Fear of rejection was the number 1 reason I didn't start a blog for the longest time. I have learned that it is ok to march to the beat of my own drum. I have made Mispellingz and punctuation issues;;; a part of my unique character ^_^ Every day I am learning something new and getting better and better. Even though I am far from perfect I love to write. I may not always have the right words to say or always be understood, but those who wish to truly understand will take the time to know me and understand my heart.

Sklar beautifully said, “ We can waste our time caring about what others think of us OR we can get ourselves a great big slice of empowerment and dance to our own music. We can be subdued and spiritless OR we can be original and unique and stand out.”

I want to share this amazing poem that Sklar wrote. This poem really inspired me and I love it a lot...

I Will Not Hide

I will not hide who I am
Who I was born to be
Just because it blots your landscape
I will not mute my colours
Nor dim my light
Just because your eyes are sensitive
I will not lose my flavour
Nor relinquish my spice
Just because your palate requires a different taste
I will not dilute my strength
Nor water down my spirit
Just because you have no desire for this drink
I will not walk with less confidence
Nor diminish my flare
Just because you prefer me to be meek
I will not stop my torrent
Or calm my waves
Just because you want shelter from this storm
I will not stay in silence
Nor sensor my speech
Just because you have no appetite for my words
I will not lessen my love
Nor subdue my passion
Just because you fear my fire
I will not hide.

Has it ever accrued to you that maybe you were not meant to fit in? Maybe you are meant to be the brightest star in the room. Don't let anybody reduce who you are. You weren't meant to fit in. You were called to stand out. If you struggle with fitting in and caring about what other people think please read Skylar Liberty Rose's Article Who Cares What They Think? (Why You Don't Need to Fit In). Play your own music and learn to dance to the beat of your own drum.

God Bless


No comments:

Post a Comment