Tuesday, March 17, 2015

The Pot of Gold at the end the Rainbow... Happy St. Patrick's Day


What if you found a treasure map and on the map next to the X it said Here lay the treasure of your dreams. You open up the map and you see that the map is huuuge. You start to think it could take a year or more to find the treasure. What if the treasure map is a fake? What if the treasure is not real? But what if it is real? What if the map is real?

I heard a preacher say “Faith is knowing what you want and certain that you are going to receive it”. If you ever found a treasure map or a map was handed to you at that moment you would not know if the treasure was real or not. You would need to have faith. What if we have faith but we don't have the resources to get to the treasure? In life do we ever have the resources all at one time to get to any thing in life? Not most of us. Most of us have to get resources along the way to our destination or save up until we have enough resources to do what we want.

One day I saw some AMAZING glass etching. It wasn't the chemical etching that I normally have seen many times before. The etch that I saw was hand etched glass. The etching had the most amazing details on the glass. I wondered how it was done. I did some investigation because I wanted to see if I could do it myself. First I found out that the etches was done by using a Dremel electric drill then I quickly realized that only a hand full of people in the whole world was doing this amazing art so finding a teacher was not at all possible.

I went online and I did see some tutorials however in short the tutorials pretty much said that I had to teach myself how to etch glass so I said Ok I will teach myself how to etch glass with a Dremel. Now keep in mind I never held a power tool in my hands in my life yet alone etch glass with a Dremel so right off the bat my husband thought I was crazy. After I told him what I was going to do I went and brought a Dremel drill. When I got it I didn't know how to even turn it on. When I did figure that out I didn't know how to assemble the drill. When I eventually figured that out I saw that it didn't come with all the attachments that I needed to use it Grrrrrr. I had to buy some collets AND they come in different sizes.

I had to go to the hardware store to buy these little collets to put together my new drill just so I can etch glass that I have never done before. I was starting to think that maybe I AM crazy but in my heart I knew that there was treasure at the end of my journey so I pressed forward. I finally figured out how to put everything together. Now onto the etching.... Wait where was I suppose to get the glass to etch? Finding recycled, cheep or free glass to practice on was an adventure in and of itself. You would think that would be the easy part. Nope it wasn't because in lived in a rural area in Texas at the time. It took time but I finally found some cheep glass. I was ready to begin. My husband still thinking I'm crazy made sure I had all the protective gear I could ware. He would of wrapped me in bubble wrap if I would have let him. I told him to stop worrying, go away and let me figure this out on my own and reluctantly he stepped away.

It took me a few months to learn everything. I learned everything about the drill, about how to etch glass and tile, I learned how to make my etches pop and I learned how to cut the glass to make luminaries and incenses burners. Within a year I got really good at etching glass. I started making glass luminaries for weddings and birthdays. I sold a lot of them to people all around the world. That was the most rewarding thing in my life. The journey was supper hard but I found the X, I found my small pot of gold and to my husbands delight I still have all 10 fingers ^_^

When I think about treasure maps I always imagine the adventurer with the treasure map going through something, going over something, digging deep to get to the treasure. I don't remember a story where someone walked 10 feet and there the treasure was. No the adventurer looking for the treasure always had to over come some obstetrical to get to the treasure. Most times the adventurer never had what they needed to get to the treasure. Many times the adventurer got hurt along the way but the greatest adventurers kept pressing forward until they made it to where X marks the spot and the pot of gold. What is it that you want in your life? Where is your treasure and pot of gold? Even if the journey is crazy hard don't be the one who quit 2 feet before the gold. You have have everything you need in order to find your treasure. All you need is persistence and determination.

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. -Calvin Coolidge

Go find your treasure and your pot of gold... Happy hunting and Happy St. Patrick's Day


No comments:

Post a Comment