Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Because Of You I Didn't Give Up

 Artistic Soul Within Facebook

I'm here for you. I may not have all the words, I may not even know what to do but know this I'm here for you. 

I love this great short article written by Christine Carter titled My Best Happiness Advice. This truly is the best advice that I have read in a very long time. In Carter's Article, she said “So when you are feeling down, or disappointed, the best way to get your happiness mojo back is by helping someone else”. This is soooo true.

For the last few months, my husband had been suffering from a terrible case of gout and he couldn't walk or work. Because he is the kind of person who takes a lot of pride in taking care of his family he got very depressed because he was having a very hard time. I had to step up a lot to take care of him. Keep in mind that I have very low vision. My head was still spinning from my Macular Degeneration diagnosis and I am still learning to adjust to having low vision but when he got hurt I had to do everything that I could to take care of him. I without even thinking about it put my issues to the side and poured everything into him.

My husband is feeling much better now and last Sunday he preached a great father's day sermon but what struck me the most was after he finished preaching a friend of ours stepped up and in front of a large church with tears in his eyes started talking about me. I was shocked. He said Your husband did a great job, but I want to comment on what I seen you do. He said in front of the whole church “Her eyes grow dimmer every day, but she don't let that stop her from helping everyone around her. Every time I see her she always has a smile on her face. She is a huge encouragement to me. Every time I see her I stop thinking about my issues because if she could do what she does with her issues I know that can easily deal with my own.” He pretty much told me that I see you, I know what you have done and I appreciate it.

That really touched my heart because it's not every day that someone says I see you. Not in a positive light anyway. Within the last few months I have found pure joy in my life. I have learned to cultivate peace and joy within myself. I have learn this pure fact that Christine Carter talked about in her article that the best way to overcome feeling down or disappointed is to focus on helping others. I didn't deny how I felt about losing my eyesight. I just for the time being just let it be what it is and be ok with what is. I found freedom.

If you are looking to learn how to have pure joy please read Christine Carter's article titled My Best Happiness Advice. And if you want to learn more ways of being joyful I suggest that you read Wherever you go there you are by Jon Kabat-Zinn.

God Bless





No comments:

Post a Comment