Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Don't Let Anyone Steal Your Joy

 Artistic Soul Within Facebook


I truly love this article written by Marc Chernoff titled 7 Little Habits That Stole Your Happiness Yesterday. This is a very encouraging article... I use to be a very emotional person before I learned about mindfulness. I use to let anything and everything move me into stress and depression. Everything bothered me. On the other hand, I had many reasons to be upset. Having to go through a very traumatic childhood and suffering from PTSD I always felt like I was always in the fight or flight mode. I was always on the look out with very little brakes. The only moment of peace I felt was when I was creating my art or when I went to church. I was always part of a youth group that seem to take me away from a very stressful life.

As I got older and moved from place to place my fight and flight response kept getting stronger and stronger. I was no longer in a youth group and even though I love going to church the answers to the questions of how to turn off the fight and flight in me didn't come easy. Church family would simply tell me to just have faith, but I didn't understand how to apply that to that constant fight and flight in me that seemed never ending. I didn't know how to let go of anything and the idea of letting go in a strange way seem horrifying. I had to fight to keep from being hurt or to keep from hurting. I had to fight to protect myself even if danger was nowhere near me and my mind never stopped racing. The more I fought the worse I felt. 

Despite all that I have gone through I learned a lot in the last few years. After studying mindfulness techniques, I went from reacting to purposefully picking and choosing my reactions. This was beyond liberating. I learned that joy is mine and it is my prized possession. I also learned that if I want inner peace and joy I have to work at it every single day, minute by minute.

Marc Chernoff in his article said it best “Remember, you ultimately become what you repeatedly do. If your daily habits aren't helping you, they're hurting you.” He also said that “Inner peace begins the moment you take a deep breath and choose not to allow another person or event to control your emotions.” In other words don't let anyone steal your joy.

I loved it when Marc said “Confident people use words with intention. And you can be one of them”. When all is said and done you have to be confident. I believe confidence is the best way to keep anyone from stealing your joy. Trust that you know what is best for you and be confident in what you do every day. Trust yourself.

Make a choice right now to own your joy, do all you can to protect it and don't let anyone steal it from you. Marc Chernoff's article is packed full great tips on how to protect your joy. Please read his article 7 Little Habits That Stole Your Happiness Yesterday and remember that joy is yours the moment you claim it.

God Bless


No comments:

Post a Comment